a little about fabric
everything starts here...
Not so far ago we discovered new type of fabric made from Bamboo!. A material that is environmentally friendly . We believe in alternative solution. That forgotten, often forbidden materials such as bamboo, hemp, can be used for best quality, environment friendly solutions. Well, you’ve come to the right place! Here you’ll discover what bamboo is, why bamboo based products are so beneficial and how to enjoy an amazing feeling of fabric. While here, you’ll get to know bamboo – we’ll explain what our work is based on and what values we hold dear.
everything begins ... within ourselves
Bamboo Fabrics was born out of our frustration of trying to source reasonably priced bamboo fabrics here in the UK. We discover bamboo as material close to nature... We love Bamboo Fabric as it has so many great qualities which you can find out about here.
Our fabrics are independently sourced and unique to us. We work with factories in Asia and Europe as well as the UK to create fabrics which we want to work with and are proud to sell. We go through an extensive sampling process to ensure the fabric meets our requirements in terms of weight, colour retention, anti-pilling and shrinkage resistance amongst other things. Because we are working with small organisations they tend not to be GOTS (Global Organic Textiles Standard) registered. The cotton yarn used in our Bamboo/cotton mix fabric is grown organically and the supplier has provided us with a certificate.
Benefits of Bamboo Viscose Fabric to You.
Bamboo has many great qualities and we first fell in love with it as a fabric as it has many of the qualities of silk but you can wash it!.
- Luxuriously soft: Bamboo fabric is superbly soft and feels like a combination between silk and cotton. In some of our fabrics we have combined the bamboo fibres with brushed cotton to product an ultra soft fabric against the skin.
- Regulates body temperature: Bamboo fabric clothing has tiny gaps which aids in ventilation meaning you stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. We have a range of fabric knits/weaves and weights to suit different uses.
- Moisture Wicking: Bamboo fabric is three to four times more absorbent than cotton, allowing it to wick and absorb perspiration away from the body, keeping you dry, comfortable and clean all day long. You will notice this when you hang it out on the line to dry; it will be heavier than an equivalent cotton garment as it has the ability to hold on to more moisture.
- Kind to Skin: The naturally smooth fibers of bamboo fabric lie flat against the skin, limiting skin irritation and sensitivity..
Environmental Benefits of Bamboo.
- Prevents soil erosion: Bamboo can grow in poor quality soil, making an easy crop to grow. Because it is a grass it is not cultivated each year but simply cut to the base which prevents soil erosion.
- Saves on water: Bamboo is able to grow with very little water and frequently requires no irrigation unlike Cotton.
- Less pesticides: Bamboo has no natural pests which means that cultivating it has less impact on the environment with the use of toxic chemical run-off from pesticides. Cotton often requires large amounts of pesticides, using 25% of the world’s pesticides and 17% of the world’s insecticides.
- Sustainable: Bamboo grows very quickly; up to about a foot a making is very sustainable.
- Removes greenhouse gases: Studies have shown that the equivalent amount of bamboo takes in more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and produces 35 percent more oxygen than trees. However, it should be noted making Bamboo Grass into a useable yarn does currently involve a chemical process so the benefits much be weighed up with the disadvantages. This is way Bamboo Fabric must be sold as Bamboo Viscose.
Care and Dyeing of Bamboo Fabric.
- Washing Bamboo Fabric: We recommend a cool setting up to 40 degrees and gentle drying without the use of a tumble dryer. We advise not to use fabric conditioners as this can impair the moisture wicking qualities of the fabric. Because the Bamboo holds water content we recommend folding double layers over a washing line to prevent stretching. When wet it is more delicate than cotton and we would recommend the use of a laundry bag. Cool iron only (due to the Spandex).
- Shrinkage: Expect around 5% shrinkage – more on heavier fabrics less on lighter fabrics.
- Dyeing: Bamboo Viscose fabric take up dye extremely well as you will see from our printed fabrics. It is a perfect choice for those wishing to create their own pattern or colour.